Smart home care starts with a mobility and home safety assessment. Identifying potential environmental and personal hazards for falls is as easy as looking around the home and observing. Here is a quick checklist to help determine if your loved one’s home is due for safety modifications.
Each “no” answer in the below survey indicates that a change should be considered.
- Does he take time to regain his balance when sitting up or standing up?
- If he feels dizzy every now and then, does he use a cane or walker?
- Do both his shoes and slippers have soles that provide traction?
- Are her bathrobes or dresses free of long cords or ties?
- Does she ask for help when she could use it to avoid a fall?
- If he must reach a high place, does he ask for help or if he is steady enough, always use a step stool rather than a chair to stand on?
- Can he turn on a light without first having to walk into a dark room?
- Does she have nightlights to guide her way to the bathroom at night?
- Are his chairs and tables stable enough to support his weight if he leans on them?
- Does she use non-skid wax or no wax on her floors?
- Are walkways kept free of clutter and cords?
- Are her glasses the right prescription or has she gotten her eyes checked recently?
- Does he allow time for his eyes to adapt to changes in lighting?
- Does he understand the side effects of all of his medications?
- Does she have grab bars, handrails and a non-skid mat in her bathroom and tub?
- Does she have handrails on all of her stairways?
Occazio Home Care can assist with determining if home modifications for fall prevention are needed. Call us in the greater Indianapolis area at 1.855.622.2946 (1.855.OCCAZIO) to learn more about our personalized home care services.