Making decisions about your own extended care or about the care of an elderly loved one isn’t easy. As we age, most of us want to remain as independent as possible, but we may also have specific care needs or be unable to perform everyday tasks on our own. When these issues arise, it is time to research the form of care that best suits the person in need.
In-home care is a care option gaining in popularity as the Baby Boomer generation transitions from highly-independent lifestyles into their golden years. Home care provides numerous benefits for people who wish to age in place. Even when frailty is a factor, in-home care clients tend to feel better and more comfortable when they are allowed to age in their own homes with a feeling of self-reliance and independence.
Other benefits of home care include:
- Home care promotes healing. Research demonstrates that patients heal faster and more comfortably at home than in a hospital or nursing home setting and there is significantly less chance of re-hospitalization when a patient is allowed to recuperate at home. (Avalere Study 2008)
- Family ties. Home care allows families to stay closer and family members tend to be more involved with the care when their loved one is at home.
- Personalization. Home care can offer personalized care tailored to the needs of the family and the individual on any given day.
- One-on-one attention. Because home care services are delivered one-on-one as opposed to the group setting of nursing homes, there is no “waiting for one’s turn” when care is needed.
- Get moving! Staying mobile is extremely important as we age. With a home care program, personalized daily exercise routines can be implemented and maintained with the safety of a qualified professional on hand.
- Healthy meals for a healthy body. Not only can in-home caregivers help clients stay active, they can also prepare healthy meals that appeal to the client and adhere to any dietary restrictions.
When it’s time to make the important decision about extended care, quality of life should be your number one concern. Aging in place with quality in-home care can offer you and your loved ones the comfort and peace of mind you’re looking for. To learn if in-home care is the right choice for you, contact Occazio Home Care today.